Is the HIV test result at 105 days conclusive?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear doctor,
I am a man has single exposure as unprotected oral sex with commercial sex worker girl.

1 ) HIV
After 3 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.15 = nonreactive
After 6 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.18 = nonreactive
After 8 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.68 = nonreactive
At 90 days : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.71 = nonreactive
At 105 days : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.88 = nonreactive

After 42 days I had a course of prednisolone ( 15 mg for 5 days + 10 mg for 5 days + 5 mg for 5 days )

I performed a Corneal Transplantation before 10 years .

a. Is this surgery will affect my recent HIV Combo Tests ?

b. Is prednisolone course I had will affect my recent HIV Combo Tests ?

c. Is it possible that my body showing more antibodies by passing time due to increasing the value of the test above ?

d. Is those tests conclusive ? or I have to test again at 6 months ?

e. May I continue my normal life with my wife ?

2 ) HBV

After 3 weeks : PCR = Negative

After 8 weeks : HB.sAg = nonreactive

At 90 days : HB.sAg = nonreactive

Is those tests conclusive ?

3 ) HCV

After 3 weeks : PCR = Negative

After 8 weeks : HCV Ab = nonreactive

At 90 days : HCV Ab = nonreactive

Is those tests conclusive ?

4 ) HSV-2

After 2 weeks : HSV-2 IgG = 0.33 = nonreactive ( No Symptoms )

After 8 weeks : HSV-2 IgG = 0.35 = nonreactive ( No Symptoms )

At 90 days : HSV-2 IgG = 0.38 = nonreactive ( No Symptoms )

Is it possible that my body showing more antibodies by passing time due to increasing the value of the test above ?

Is those tests conclusive ? Do I need more tests at 16 weeks ?

5 ) Syphilis

After 1 week : Without any symptoms, I took ( 3 ) tablets of Doxycycline 100 all together daily on the same time for 15 days as advised in (pFizer) company guide for treating syphilis.

After 8 weeks : VDRL = nonreactive ( No Symptoms )

At 90 days : VDRL = nonreactive ( No Symptoms )

Is those tests with proposed treatment conclusive ?

6 ) Gonorrhea and Chlamydia

After 7 weeks : Without any symptoms, I took one single dose of Ceftriaxone 0.5 IM in addition to on single dose of Azithromycin 1 g

Can we consider Gonorrhea and Chlamydia ruled out ? Do I need any tests ?

7 ) HPV

I am not sexually active person and this accident was rare in my life, Is it possible that I got HPV through this single exposure ( Unprotected oral sex : mouth to penis) ?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 days later
Brief Answer:
All STDs ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The tests for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) HBV, HCV, HSV-2syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea suggest that you have not had any past or present infection.
The progressive increase in antibody titer is not of any consequence as long as the test is non-reactive or negative.
The risk of acquiring human papilloma virus (HPV) cannot be predicted.
A serological test for HPV needs to be done to rule out HPV infection.

Corneal transplant in the past will not affect the HIV test.
Intake of prednisolone will also not affect the HIV test.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Dear Doctor, Thanks for your reply.
Combo Test for HIV approved by FDA in 2010 and the experts consider it as gold test for early detection of HIV.
Guide lines in UK consider the test at 28 days perfect, but they still recommend repeating the test at 90 days.

1. Is P24 will be detactible in combo test after 42 days post exposure ?
2. I took a course of prednisone ( 5 mg ) in window period ( HIV ) started from day 36 after exposure and for 16 days as follow :
4 days : 20 mg/day
4 days : 15 mg/day
4 days : 10 mg/day
4 days : 05 mg/day
I read that prednisone could delay antibodies production , so this may be make the conclusive test delay after 90 days.
I have another non reactive test at 105 days.
The question here, Is this limited course in time and quantity of prednisone could affect the conclusively of my tests especially the 105 days one through reducing antibodies production ?Is it correct that antibodies production delay should be through a coursein high dosage and more than 2 weeks to affect immenue system ? Is my course above consider high or normal ?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prednisone will not affect p24 level.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
Your concern about HIV test is justified.
Steroids i.e. prednisone can affect the antibody production, however, it will not affect the antigen of HIV.
P24 is a part of HIV virus.
When infected with HIV infection, p24 is detected in blood.
However, it may be undetectable during window period so a repeat HIV test is advised after 3 months or 120 days of exposure.
The last test that you underwent was at 105 days.
To be doubly sure you can take up HIV test at 120 days.
If 120 days have elapsed, the test can be repeated now.
Prednisone will not affect the p24 levels.You have taken right course of prednisone.

I hope I have addressed your concern.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 10 hours later
Dear doctor,
I am keep searching for same question.
Please clarify by science language if above dosage consider low or high in period and quantity, then if will or not affect my immune system ability to produce antibodies.
All that for understanding if my 105 day combo test is 100% conclusive.
Thanks for your patience.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The combo test is conclusive at 105 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

The dosage of Prednisone or any other steroid is adjusted in such a way that it affects the immune system minimally.
This dose adjustment is called tapering off the drug dosage i.e. reducing the dosage of drug over a period of time.
Your prednisone dosage is also tapered off over a period of 16 days.
The dosage will minimally affect the ability to produce the antibodies and if there is any effect what-so-ever, the body will recover the ability to produce the antibodies very soon as the steroid is discontinued.

The combo test is conclusive at 105 days, however, you can get it repeated on or after 120 days.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T