Is the HIV test at 105 days conclusive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear doctor ,
I am a man has single exposure as unprotected oral sex with commercial sex worker girl.
After 3 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.15 = nonreactive
After 6 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.18 = nonreactive
After 8 weeks : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.68 = nonreactive
At 90 days : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.71 = nonreactive
At 105 days : P24 and Total antibodies HIV1&HIV2 = 0.88 = nonreactive

- Sometimes I took prednisone because of my allergy.
The dosage limited in one or two days (5 – 10) mg/day

- After 36 days of possible exposure I had a full course of prednisolone (16 ) days as follow
20 mg for 4 days
15 mg for 4 days
10 mg for 4 days
05 mg for 4 days

- I performed a Corneal Transplantation before 10 years .

a. Is this surgery will affect my recent HIV Combo Tests ?

b. I am asking same question for understanding the effect of prednisone on my HIV Combo test (Architect, Abbott )
Please clarify in science language if my last dosage consider strong enough in quantities and period to affect HIV antibodies production in my body and HIV combo test accordingly with note that I tested 5 times in different times and many web sites doctors consider this course nothing to be effective.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prednisolone likely to delay antibody formation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Bachar,
Welcome back.
Thanks for sending a new query.

Your corneal transplantation surgery done before 10 years would not have any effect over the HIV test you had undergone already.
But we can not rule out a delayed antibody formation for HIV with a course of prednisolone. This would not be affected the antigen part of the combo test whereas it my likely to affect the antibody part of the test. So HIV 1 ruled out beyond any doubt. Only HIV 2 infection (very rare) can only be ruled out by antibody test which might get delayed by the course of Prednisolone. You are 99% unlikely to have HIV. But there is nothing wrong to have one more test after 6 months (beyond which there could not be any delay) and rule out both HIV 1 &2 totally.
DR S XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 45 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX please make a look to the numbers , They are very very limited in quantities and period. The human immune system should not be affected for small dosage like main , otherwise this medicine should be consider looser.
Is it correct that P24 available from 21 days up to 6 months .
Is it correct that HIV2 just be found in XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV2 incidence is less than 1% inother than XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM once again.

If I say that the steroids were taken for a short course would not delay the antibodies, then there may be an argument, are you sure that the immune system would not affect its normal function in producing the antibodies. If you believe beyond doubt that this short course would affect the antibody production then you cal relax as well.
It is true that P 24 antigen will likely be to wean after 3-4 months on wards and may likely to disappear after 6 months.
The incidence HIV 2 found little more in certain parts of XXXXXXX whereas the rest of world the incidence is less than 0.5- 1% of total HIV cases.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX
This subject not about believe or argument, I am trying to understand the science opinion through studies, researches, statistics and medicine lecture.
Appreciate if you can answer me.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Variations in body response with individuals.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
Medicine is not like mathematics to have a constant answer. There may be individual variations in the body's response. We can not predict the way in which your system responds to the course of steroids.That is what I mean to convey.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Thanks doctor XXXXXXX
I understand exactly what you advised above but it should general guidlines for each medicine and that is what I need to understand to relate this with my case
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steroid suppress body response against any insult.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

There is no such general guidelines for certain aspects. There is no such things like how long a course of Steroids would affect the antibody production etc. Steroids are often prescribed to suppress the reaction of immune system in the body related to various organs of body. Patients got relief only because it suppresses the response against any inflammation or allergic and auto-immune reaction with this short course. Then there could be every possibility that there may be a delay in antibody production also.
Dr S.Murugan.
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Doctor XXXXXXX
1. Do you think my course above limited, Medium or High ?
2. If we said that course will affect my immune system , How many days it will back to work perfectly after the last day in my course ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Individual variation in immunerecovery with steroi

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

1.Steroids for a week or two is a short course only.
If it is continued for more than a month to six months then it can be called as a medium length of course. More than six months is a fairly long course. But the action of steroids and the immunosuppression also depends upon the length of the course from mild to severe.
2. With a short course of steroids immune system can get back to normalcy within 3 months. But these predictions are just by experience only. There is no definite data are available and there will be individual variations may extend or shorten these ranges in medicine and body system.
An immunologist (basically a pathologist) is the best person to discuss more about these things, not a clinician like me.
Dr S.Murugan