• question-icon

Is the HIV combo test conclusive after 7 weeks of exposure?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had hiv combo test in 7 weeks the result is negative , is it conclusive ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is more than 95% conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Devilsdouble,

Welcome to HCM.

You had done HIV Combo test after 7 weeks of exposure which is considered more than 95% conclusive but to get 100% conclusive and accurate result you need to go for repeat test after 3 months as per International HIV testing guidelines. If still you have any query feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 16 minutes later
Its 50 days , do i need to re-test ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get tested again after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Devilsdouble,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

You need to go for repeat test again after 90 days of exposure to get 100% reliable and conclusive result. Allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV as the chances of the positive result are very unlikely or practically nil. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 minutes later
I had protected sex and oral without condom before the 7 weeks and i tested post exposure 50 days later and it was negative , cdc says you need only 6 weeks for combo test to be conclusive
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
The risk is practically nil.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Devilsdouble,

Welcome back once again.

You had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex but the risk of getting HIV from oral sex is very unlikely so nothing to worry about. The HIV combo test after 50 days of exposure is negative which is highly conclusive but still to be 100% accurate you need to get tested again after 90 days of exposure because the window period for HIV infection varies from 15 days to 3 months.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist