• question-icon

Is the HIV ELISA test result done after 83 days of exposure conclusive?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: i have been tested hiv elisa after 83 days negative also pcr rna test and p24 antigen test negative after 52 days should i go for further testing or should these result are conclusive
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get tested again after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

You had tested with ELISA after 83 days and RNA PCR as well as P24 antigen after 52 days which are considered highly reliable and accurate for any exposure or risk so no need to get worried or tensed as the chances of getting infection are nil.

The window period for HIV infection varies from 15 days to 3 months so to get the 100% reliable and conclusive result you need to go for repeat ELISA test after 3 months. Be relaxed and move on in life as the risk is very unlikely in your case.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 26 minutes later
Hi Doctor ,

Thanks for the reply actualy already now i am on 160 th day and i donot want to get further testimg as already i had started my baby plan now i donot want to to get further tensed does the above test cannot be conclusive as the doctor i have consulted he suggested to move on no problem
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can consider these results as 99% conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

In above query you had mentioned the test was done 83 days after the exposure but in recent query you are saying it is 160th day. If the exposure is more than 3 months old then the result is 100% conclusive but if it is 83 days then consider it as 99% conclusive and you need to go for repeat test after 3 months to get 100% accurate result. For any further query feel free to ask me again any time.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist