Is testosterone level of 280 a cause for concern?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, My total testosterone level is 280 and just detected type 2 diabetis, I am suffering from heavy perspiration since childhood. Right now I am not getting proper erection and having weakness and not able to concentrate. Is it because of diabetis or hormone. Right now I am taking tenglyn 20 and metanoll 1000.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety & High blood sugar may be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

After going through your test reports there might be following causes for your erection problem-
1) High blood sugar levels.
2) Dyslipidemia.
3) Smoking (Guessed from your High Hb).
4) Anxiety (Perspiration may be one of the presentation).

Testosterone is within normal range. Hormonal problem is unlikely.

In such situation I may suggest-
1) Diabetes control:
- Continue your medications.
- Follow diabetic diet in consultation with near by dietitian.
- Regular exercise (150 min per week of moderate degree physical exercise is a usual recommendation.
2) Regular blood pressure monitoring.
3) Statin therapy for dyslipidemia:
- I may suggest Rosuvastatin 10mg per day.
- Diet restriction.
4) Smoking cessation if addicted.
5) Don't think much about your problem. Try some relaxation techniques like deep breathing exercise, yoga.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 7 hours later
I don't have any habit of smoking and drinking. I am taking atorvostatin .can you suggest me something for weakness and acidity
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weakness may be due to high blood sugar level.

Detailed Answer:
Your feeling of weakness may be due to recently detected diabetes.

In case of untreated diabetes there are following possibilities for weakness-

1) In case of diabetes there is relative deficiency of insulin in the presence of deficient insulin body tissue cannot utilize glucose (energy) for their activity.

2) Cellular dehydration:
Glucose get accumulated in blood as it is not get utilized by body. This glucose get excreted through urine along with glucose there is loss of body water and minerals.

As blood sugar get controlled your feeling of weakness will be reduced with time.

Increase intake of green leafy vegetables, sprouts in diet.
Drink adequate water.

I may not suggest any medications for weakness. Though you can use any multivitamin and mineral supplements available in market like Revital, Polybion CZS and many others.

For acidity I may suggest Omeprazole 40mg or Pantoprazole 40mg once a day before breakfast.

Continue Tab Atorvastatin.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee