Is tacrolimus level of 3.4 a cause for concern?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My tacrolimus levels were just tested and came back at 3.4 and this is lower than I am used to seeing. I have recently reduced my prograf from 2 mg in the morning and at night to 1.5 in the morning and at night. Did I reduce it too much.? I am 8 years out with my new liver. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recommended plasma levels are 8 to 12 nano grams per ML, there is a but.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for trusting healthcaremagic with your health concern.

A level of 3.4 nano grams per ml is considered low, the recommended plasma levels of Tacrolimus are between 8 - 12 ng/ml for liver transplant patients.

But, this depends on several factors such as your present clinical condition and the institution that prescribed you the medicine, the surgeon, etc.

The target levels vary from institute to institute.

It is a good thing if you have no graft Vs host reaction with the reduced tacrolimus levels, but you must consult with your treating surgeon about the reduced plasma levels and discuss in detail about how to proceed further.

The usual recommended dose of tacrolimus is 01. to 0.15 mg per kg body weight per day.

Kindly get in touch with your surgeon at the earliest and proceed as he/she recommends.

I hope I have been of some help, I would be happy to assist you further if you have any doubts.

Wishing you continued good health.

Warm regards