question-icon

Is swollen feet and ankles normal after a sunburn?

Posted on Wed, 17 Aug 2016
Question: Hello, On saturday, I got pretty bad sunburn on my legs and feet. My feet are still red and so are my legs. My feet and ankles are swollen but do not hurt. The top part of my thighs hurt but nothing else. Is this normal for my feet and ankles to stay swollen for this long even though there is no pain?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Due to seepage through injured capillaries.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
With the sunburn, there would be some damage to the capillaries and there would be seepage of fluids from the blood into the subcutaneous tissue. This would take some time to settle. Keeping your legs elevated and the use of Reparil 20 mg Tablet(Amorphous aescin.) and gel local application, may help the swelling to subside faster.
If the swelling increases or becomes painful with tenderness of the calf muscles, it would be better to be examined by a doctor to check for any venous thrombosis.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Dr. Noble Zachariah