Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Is swollen and rigid index finger and pain in wrist a sign of MS?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
I have a swollen right index finger that will not bend voluntarilly and is painful up to my wrist and forearm at times. I have not been diagnosed with MS, however I do have an appointment next week with my rheumatologist and I am going to ask about it for several other symptoms. Is this one of them? My orthopedic thought it was a trigger finger and did surgery for that, which did not alleviate the problem. I have also had carpal tunnel surgery in 2013, which did work, thankfully.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not due to MS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The swollen index finger with difficulty in bending is likely to be due to tendonitis. It can happen due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress. This is not likely to be related to MS. You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep your finger in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, increase in swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your orthopedician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor