Is swelling only in both the calves a cause for concern?

Dr. Sanjay Kini

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: on the inside of my shin bone on both legs i can push in and the area pits. The rest of my legs, ankles, and feet do not have this pitting and my lower extremities are not swollen. Why does it appear I have edema only along the shin bone on the inside and nowhere else? It bounces back after 5-10 seconds but it is weird it is only there. I would assume congestive heart failure, kidney or liver disease would cause more fluid retention if it is to that point. Why is it only on the muscle right on my shin bones on the inside and should it be concerning?

Thank you in advance doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diseases - heart, liver, kidney, varicose veins have to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:

Edema is caused by either systemic diseases, that is, diseases that affect the various organ systems of the body, or by local conditions involving just the affected extremities. The most common systemic diseases associated with edema involve the heart, liver and kidneys. Certain medications like calcium channel blockers (Amlodipine, Nifedipine) which are given for hypertension also can cause pitting edema.

The most common local conditions that cause edema are varicose veins and thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the veins) of the deep veins of the legs.

You need to consult a physician. The doctor may test your blood or urine to check your liver or kidney function. You might have an electrocardiogram and other tests to check your heart.

Hope I have answered your question.

All the best.

Dr. Sanjay Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng