Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

197 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is swelling in the left leg indicative of coronary artery disease?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1456 Questions
I have had a falldown accident involving an intertrochanteric fracture of the neck of the left femur.
Old man's fall. I am 84. Post surgery but my left leg is hardened and swollen. I have been taking plavix and Coumadin and some "pee pill" . Is this a condition related to coronary artery disease and, if so, what would you say to my doctor?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several possible causes

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but first, you need to exclude the presence of blood clots by means of duplex scan which assesses the patency of your leg's blood vessels ...

Also, you did not mention whether the swelling and hardening involved the surgical site or the lower part of your leg...If the swelling is in the lower part of your leg only then it could be due to venous insufficiency and the use of compression stockings together with the elevation of your leg while sitting or sleeping may help ...

If the swelling is in the surgical area then this is edema of the tissues in response to the surgery itself and this should not worry you.. but if the area becomes inflamed, painful, red, or warm then this could be a sign of infection...

Also, I would recommend that you consider physical therapy to reduce the swelling by the gentle movement of the limbs (which will help the fluid move out of the tissues, and back into the circulating blood where it belongs).

I hope you find this helpful

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon