Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Is swelling behind anus a sign of hemorrhoid problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
WhenI had my son 42 years ago, I tore from front to back and the doctor on call was delivering 3 women at that time.....When he stitched me up he stitched....up to much and I have had problems since.....with hemoroids and constipation....and so on, just in the last week I have had a swelling and very painful place right behind my first I thought maybe it was a hemroid that didn't have room inside so it was pushing through....but it feels like a muscle or tube running about 3---4 inches long, and it is very sensitive to touch......Am I being worried over nothing or should I be very worried???????? thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thrombosed hemorrhoid. Detailed Answer: Hi, These symptoms suggest you may have a thrombosed hemorrhoid. This is not serious but can cause a lot of pain. It would feel hard and tender and will not easily reduce back inside. I suggest you see your doctor for examination to confirm this. Treatment would be surgical removal. In the meantime a cold compress will help reduce the swelling. Hemorrhoid gel will help ease the pain. This can be obtained over the counter from your pharmacy. I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is swelling behind anus a sign of hemorrhoid problem? 5 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: This could be an abscess. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the clarification. If you feel the swelling is on the inside, you may have an abscess. Alternatively, this may be a peri-anal fissure. It would be difficult to be more precise than this without examination. For this reason, I suggest you need to be examined by your doctor. Hope this helps, Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor