Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Is surgery to remove bone chip best option for treating pain in foot radiating to ankle after injury?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Dropped a tv/vcr on top right foot about 2 mos ago. ER xray showed neg fracture. Continuous pain led to another xray 3 wks ago. Orthopedic phys assistant said chip fracture of fifth metatarsal. Now have increased and continuous pain in that area of foot, with rest and ambulation. Also now pain up through outer ankle with ambulation. Could surgery to remove bone chip help? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: not as advisable to remove chip fracture Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day Small chip fracture of 5th metatarsal is left undisturbed. It doesn't warrant removal. All you need is few weeks of immobilization of part by below knee Plaster of Paris cast. It will provide the much needed relief of pain by immobilizing the affected part and will help in healing of fracture. Chip fracture are only removed if they are totally displaced and protruding through the skin. I hope it helped. If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor