Is surgery the only option for removal of calculi in kidney?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: IN LEFT KIDNEY ALL ARE NORMAL, MILD HYDRONEPROSIS, 6MM VUJ CALCULI NOTED. IS IT NECESSARY FOR OPERATION
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You require Ureteroscopic removal of calculus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

You are suffering form 6 mm calculus in left VUJ(vesico ureteric junction) and it is causing back pressure changes in the form of mild hydronephrosis in left kidney.So,it should be removed urgently.

6 mm calculus is unlikely to pass spontaneously.
You require Ureteroscopic removal of calculus.It is done by inserting a long narrow telescope (ureteroscope) through the lower urinary tract (urethra and bladder) up to the stone and fragmenting it with an energy source such as laser beam.
Ureteroscopy is carried out as a day procedure in hospital without any incision and so recovery is usually rapid.

You should consult urologist for detail evaluation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX