Is surgery required for treating gallstones?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was diagnosed with gallstone in Aug 2017. Size was 10.7 mm. GB wall thickness was 4.1 mm. Visited a surgeon who prescribed lft and mrcp. Sgpt and sgot were 450 and 400. Bilirubin was 3.Alk phos was within normal range. No cbd stone was detected in mrcp. Doc dignosed viral hepatitis and prescribed livofloxacin for 1 week. Also advised me to visit a medicine specialist. However symptoms reduced. I met with an md. As per his advice, visited a md. Was also advised low fat diet. Presently taking udiliv 300 twice daily along with stimuliv. Did repeat usg and lft in XXXXXXX Sgpt and sgot were at 40. Bilirubin 1, stone size shows 12. Wall thickness 3.1 mm. No sign of inflamation. Weight also reduced from 83 kg to 75 kg. My height is 5ft 9 inch. Not facing any symptom apart from irregular bowel movement for one or two days. Under this circumstance do i nd to revisit surgeon..
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief answer:

You should go for planned laproscopic gallbladder removal.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Firstly when ever there is a stone in gall bladder especially a small one treatment of choice is to remove gallbladder through planned laproscopic surgery because as you know gall bladder is connected to pancreas so if by chance this stone slips into pancreas this may cause acute pancreatitis which is a emergency condition which can even be fatal.
Urodeoxycholic acid is effective in dissolving gall stones in almost 40% of cases only.So its not something very effevtive that too if gall stones are made of cholestrol.Its totally ineffevtive on calcium stones.
So if you take my opinion i am not in favour of conservative management.
Gallbladder as such is a useless organ and having a stone in it keeps my patient at risk of having acute pancreatitis.So i would like you to visit your surgeon and discuss this explaination with him

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng