Is surgery required for multiple ligament tear, collateral ligament tear and ACL tear?

Dr. Deepak Goyal

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i met with an accident and injured my right knee
mri report says multiple ligament tear ,complete medial collateral ligament tear and ACL tear
i want to know if i require a surgery or conservative management
how long will it take for healing in conservative management and in surgical procedure
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 3 hours later
Dear,

Many thanks for asking a query to us.

As per the report you have multiple ligament injury and lateral meniscus tear and yes, this will require ligament surgery as well as arthroscopy. However the timing of surgery depends on clinical parameters. Sometimes a surgeon might decide to wait few weeks before considering surgery so that XXXXXXX and external oedema subsides. If a surgeon decides to wait, then limb should be protected in plaster or brace.

Therefore only your examining orthopedic can decide the right time to operate.

My advice is as this type of multiple ligament surgeries are very tricky, it should only be attempted by experienced arthroscopic/ knee joint surgeon.

We wish all the best to you.

Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad