Is surgery required for "Multiple left renal calculi. Mild left-sided

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Is surgery required for "Multiple left renal calculi. Mild left-sided hydronephrosis." ?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes procedure required

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and gone through the reports attached.
There seems multiple stones in the left ureter.
Hence there is backward pressure piling up into the kidney. This enlarged the kidney. Right now the size is big but not seriously big. However if you delay there would more piling up of pressure causing damage to the left kidney and its function.
As mentioned in the Ultrasound scan you should get contrast IVP. Also would like to know if kidney and liver function tests were done and how are they showing up.
For now I see there is a procedure required to break the stones or remove the stones to ease the pressure.
Hope I answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 47 hours later
Thank you.

We are in US now and planning to visit XXXXXXX in Jun. Is there any medication until then to prevent further damage so that we can get the procedure done in India?

Please let us know any medication or any other non surgical process available even if it is a bit slow in process, as my wife is reluctant to go for surgery as off now.

Thanks again.
Murali.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase non caffeinated beverages to 3 lts per day

Detailed Answer:

There is only one way, increase non caffeinated beverages to 3 to 4 litres gradually in a day. This may flush the stones further down and may be pass thorugh the urine.
You can use Potassium chloride (30ml) three time a day in a glass of water as well to alkalize the urine to prevent infection.