question-icon

Is surgery necessary for enlarged prostate with normal PSA levels?

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015
Question: My father has been diagnosed with enlarged prostate and has performed the tests for PSA, Uroflow and USD scan. Can you kindly review the same and specify a treatment that might help him. Is surgery needed at this point of time?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I think there is no need for surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic!

I have reviewed the attached laboratory examination results and I don't think your father needs surgery.

Serum PSA is within normal which indicates that he's risk of having prostate cancer is low.

Your father has benign prostatic enlargement which is typical of his age. His uroflowmetry result showed decrease pressure in his urination due to the prostate enlargement that is seen in his ultrasound (61 grams) normal prostate size is roughly 22-25grams.

In my clinic for cases like your father I usually give 2 medicines 1. to relax the prostate and increase urine flow and 2. a drug that would shrink the prostate. These drugs are tamsulosin 400 mcg and finasteride 5 mg respectively.

his other blood exams is unremarkable.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist