question-icon

Is sudden discontinuation of antibiotics for insomnia have any withdrawal symptoms?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: I prescribed benadryl for sleep about 8 years ago. I also have horrendous seasonal allergies, and I take it for that as well. Way back when, one or two tabs would knock me out. Now they do nothing. I take about 3 mid-day to help with allergies, but between 4-5 at night to sleep. I have recently had nasal surgery (it was a mess) and will start immune-therapy drops soon. That with Nasonex, I am hoping will alleviate the need for an antihistamine. As for sleep, well, I know it will be hard, but I want to find my natural rhythm again. I had been on Ambien prior to benadryl but it was like being drunk and I hated that. I have read online conflicting advice about ceasing benadryl. I have also seen some people become addicted to a euphoric feeling--I personally have never experienced that (nor tried to). It just helps me sleep and breath.

How can I safely stop? I expect some rebound congestion and insomnia, but I am concerned that there may be additional things, like nausea, spasms, etc. Thanks for any info.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message. I think I can help you. The idea of stopping any medicines is to stop it slowly.
Sudden withdrawal always causes problems, irrespective of the medicine in use.
The medicine should be withdrawn slowly.
Once your new therapy is effective reduce the dose slowly.
If eg you take 4 drops 2 times a day, start reducing by making it 4 and 2 drops, then 2 drops twice a day, then 2 drops daily then alternate day and so on.
Reduce gradually. Give each step almost a week.
I think that should help.
Let your treating dr know before hand that you are withdrawing the medicine.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist