question-icon

Is stiffness in the finger joints upon waking a sign of arthritis?

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: At night hands seem to curve at night ,it seems they lock up on me. In the morning i have tp stretch/ pry my fingers to spread out, is this a sig on arthritis
When straightening my fingers, the pain is severe.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This is sign of arhritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes, this is one ot he typical signs of arthritis at its early stage and most common types are rheumatoid arhritis or spondiloarhritis. Other types include autoimmune disorders. You should start with some tests to verify exact type so that treatemnt can be started if required. At this point,try to stretch every morning your hands and finger for few minutes,have hot baths in the morning, take nonsteroid painkillers and avoid excessive keyboard typing. You ned to do xrays of hands, check your rheumatoid factor in blood and urate acid in blood,this will rule out rheuamtoid arthritis. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon