Is stem cell therapy effective in treating dementia?

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Tue, 28 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My father is suffering from Dementia, will stem cell theraphy helps for cure.

Also , suggest some specialist for consulting.
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not effective, consult neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
Thanks for posting your query on hcm.
Stem therapy and gene therapy are still under ongoing research for dementia, there is no substantial evidence of their effectiveness for dementia.
You need to visit a neurologist for proper examination and treatment.
At present, finding out the cause and drug therapy is what you should be doing.
Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and antipsychotics are classes of medicines that can help.
Ruling out conditions like Vitamin B 12 deficiences, thyroid problems, high blood sugar and hypertension is important.
If you have any further doubts, queries, you may get back to me.
Dr. Sonia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina