question-icon

Is spotting after IUD?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014
Question: I had an IUD (paragard) inserted 19 days ago and I have been spotting ever since.
My doctor says its normal, I'm just wondering is this normal. I had IUD before and never had this.
Answered by Dr. S Patra (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Normal for 1-3 months. Do pelvic examination.

Detailed Answer:

According to your information, it is MOSTLY suggestive of side effect of inserted IUD (Paragard). Spotting is quite COMMON phenomena for initial 1-3 months.

Side effects include expulsion, pelvic inflammatory disease or infection, spotting or irregular menstrual pattern. It has greater risk of ectopic pregnancy.

I suggest to undergo one pelvic examination with or without speculum to address the underlying pathology (if anything). Hormonal imbalance and mental stress are associated factors. Complete hormonal profile would be worthwhile.

Proper treatment depends on ruling out the causative agent. You should maintain genital hygiene properly and check the thread periodically.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist