Is smoking advisable for a pericardial effusion patient?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hi Dr,
I'm 35 years old, and am a pretty healthy guy. Other then smoking a little bit of weed once in a while, I live pretty healthy. Never had any issues (do have heart disease in the family), until last week. I had some chest pains for a few days, so I went to the ER to check it out. After the blood samples and ECG the doctor thought I had a heart attack. Scared me crazy. They did a coronography, but it came out clear.
The week before I was sick (farangitis + fever) so they did an echo and saw like what looked as some leftover fluids around the heart. So pericarditis was the cause apparently. They kept me for one night to be sure that my heart beat was normal and that my blood became better the next morning. I was released the next afternoon with a prescription of apergic 1 gram 4 times a day.
It's been 4 days since I was released,and I feel much better. The question for me is can I first of all start with some light exercise and maybe smoke a little J? I know smoking is bad, especially after all of this. But will it be like reeallly bad with the medicine and all?
Thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

You have been diagnosed with pericardial effusion and prescribed high-dose aspergic. Smoking marijuana places you at higher risk of hemorrhage including intracranial hemorrhage, at higher risk of further heart disease and worsening of pericadial effusion, which can lead to cardiac tamponade and death. I strongly recommend you not use marijuana given the high risk it poses to your health.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 33 minutes later
Guess i'll skip the weed for now. How about light exercise (meaning being with my wife)? : )
The prescription they gave me was for one week. They said after that I should be fine (no bloodworks needed), and they made an appointment at my fathers cardiologist for in a month and a half.
So after I finish my medication ( I will do another blood test to be sure), can I live my life normally again until my appointment?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
After you complete your medication, if the blood test is unconcerning, you can resume all your normal activities. Yes, you can be with your wife intimately immediately, that poses no harm. For more information about me, please visit my private link below.

ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist