Is smoking Marijuana advisable while on Gabapentin?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I have to ttake about 30 600 mg of gababentin now to get really high. I got addicted to it when I was away. I am a good person. REtired from local union # 3. My son is gradutation from XXXXXXX COLLEGE, and my daughter is going to be a flight attanted. {i can't spell lol}. I drink about 12 beers every other day, and smoke pot about 2 times a week. Here is my question."Is it ok to smoke it. IS IT OK TO SMOKE IT" WILL IT MESS UP MY LUNGS HEART ECT........
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will definitely affect you negatively

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description I feel there is substantial risk to your health coming from the current use of prescription as well as illegal substances. 12 beers a day is enough to suppress your central nervous system to a great extent which can further compromised by use of gabapentin.

Above these two substances if you smoke pot it may cause irritation of your lungs and bronchi. For a healthy person this kind of irritation is ok and can be dealt effectively but for a person who is severely intoxicated may slip into coma and death.

I like to conclude that combination of substance abuse may harm you to a great extent such as coma and death.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Basically I am really Ok with the beer and Weed.. I Am very Healthy, and very well educated on Health, Anatomy, And diet. I swim and play lots of paddle ball...Never smoked a ciggerate in my life....Thanks for your answer on the weed. It really irritates my throat, but in a few days I am ok...I wont' worry to much on that....Big concern is the Gabapentin.....Will it have long ffects on me....?..ALSO TAKE ABOUR 200-300mg of sequel every night.....Passed out on floor 3 times from all the combinations.....Will the serequel have long term side effects on me...I AM affriad of a coma....a month ago , i passe out on the flooe and could'nt get up for about half hour. When I did, I fell again, and really thought I was going to die.....Thank you for your help....
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Gabapentin in the dosage can have seizures and other neurological toxicity such as ataxia and I feel it should be avoided with professional support. I am of the opinion that if it is continued in current manner there is high chance of development of status epilepticus during withdrawal of gabapentin.

Regarding seroquel I do not think it have long term side effects at current dose while considering your life style. In case due care is not taken for exercise you may develop obesity and other metabolic side effects.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.