• question-icon

Is smoking 3 to 4 cigarettes a day is very harmful?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Sir, I would like to enquire about the smoking habits & the ways to quit it. My elder brother is 29 years old & he is addicted to smoking cigarettes. He smokes 3 to 4 cigarettes per day. He has tried all possible ways to quit but he is unable to leave the habit.

He has tried Nicotine Gums, Electronic Cigarette, Meditation etc. but he wasn't successful to quit. My questions are:

1. Is smoking 3-4 cigarettes a day is very harmful? What is the risk ratio in that ? because my grandfather also was smoking but he was healthy.

2. What are the easier ways & yet effective ways to quit!?

please answer my questions in detail.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Motivation to quit is the most important factor

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

For any deadditcion the most important thing is motivation to quit. Many persons can quit substance with only motivation and no medical helps needed. Sometime due to withdrawal symptoms medicines are required.

Smoking cigarettes is always dangerous. Duration and quantity both matters for risk Smoking more than 3 cigarettes per day for more than 15 years increase risks of many cancers 50%.

There are lots of factors like food-nutrition, healthy lifestyles, overall physical health, and genetics which can decide effect of cigarette smoking.
It is not necessary that if your grandfather was healthy so your brother would be.

Ans 1:
In any case 3-4 cigarettes per day is harmful and severity of effects depends on duration and many other factors as I told.

Ans 2: The best way is to consult deaddiction specialist. Psychiatrist is by degree deaddcition specialist. He needs motivational counselling. He has attempted to quit that is good sign. Depending on withdrawal symptom severity he can be given medicines like propranolol, benzodiazepine and bupropion. Other important aspect is prevention of relapse. As per guidelines when person stops substance for continuous one year then only we can tell that he is free from substance. We need to address the stress or other factors of life which are responsible for starting and continuing habit of smoking and that are part of assessment and counselling during deaddcition. Continuous and regular follow up required even during abstinence.
So convince him for consulting deaddiction specialist.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist