Is small cell carcinoma curable?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: Small cell carcinoma. Can it be cured? My father did a surgery followed by chemo and now waiting for ct results. What are his chances
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
The question is incomplete. You do not even mention the organ, I am assuming the lung but could be elsewhere. Also CT results are necessary to know whether there is tumor visible in the area, spread to other organs, spread to lymph nodes. It is that information which will allow to make a prediction.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 days later
Sorry about that. Yes it was lung cancer (right one). He did a sirgery and almost 50 percent of his lung was removed. Glands and layers around it were also removed. Upon testing, one out of 6 philat nodes was found to be cancerous in addition to the tumor in the lung. He did a 4 (3 days ) chemo treatment of etipisode and cisplatin. Ive been reading a lot and it seems small cell normally hits back which i hope not in my fathers case
Brief Answer:
unfortunately small cell carcinoma usually recurs

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns. Your father has done well so far. The very fact that surgery could be done suggests that the tumor was not advanced. Most small cell cancers are too advanced for surgery.

However, cure is usually not possible for small cell cancers. Even though the CT may be normal now, the disease has a tendency to recur. Few lucky patients may still get away without a recurrence.

Considering that your dad a lower disease burden, I sincerely hope that he doesn't recur.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Thank you doctor. His ct came back normal. He is now scheduled for radio therapy. I know this might not be accurate but whats normally the time frame for small cell to reccur?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ok then result is good

Detailed Answer:
Nobody can predict in an individual patient, but in limited stage disease like in your dad, average time to recurrence is around 2.5-3 yrs.