Is slight prolongation of PR interval indicative of cardiovascular disease?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Please read this. For a 24 yo male, is his heart considered cardiovascular disease?

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I explain as follows.

Detailed Answer:

I carefully reviewed your uploaded medical reports, your ECG parameters are in general okay, except for the slight prolongation of PR interval which means first degree AB block.

First degree AV block is the mildest form of cardiac impulse delay passing from the atria to the ventricles.

In a person without any clinical symptomatology (weakness, dizziness, etc.), it is clinically irrelevant and poses no danger.

In such case, it is not associated with persistent bradycardia or any other higher form of atrioventricular block.

If first degree AV block is associated with more severe forms of AV block, then more medical attention and special treatment is necessary. In such case, the problem doesn't stay on the first degree AV block, but to those associating higher blocks.

Coming to this point, it is advisable to perform additional tests:
- Cardiac ultrasound (to assure that no structural cardiac disorders are present)
- Ambulatory ECG monitoring (Holter) to investigate the possible presence of higher degrees of AV blocks.

Now returning to your main concern, considering the list of potential cardiac disorders that may preclude from performing the essential functions of a police officer, first degree AV block, even when persistent, doesn't appear on the list. So, it is not considered a disqualifying criteria for applying to that kind of a job.

Hope the answer has been helpful to you!

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Cardiologist