question-icon

Is slight mucus in stool normal?

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Question: Slight amount of mucous in stool
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Slight amount of mucus in the stool is normal

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. A small amount of clear (sometimes yellow) mucus in the stool, with no other bowel symptoms, is considered normal.

A noticeable increase in mucus in the stool, accompanied by symptoms such as changes in bowel movements such as constipation and or diarrhea, pain, cramping or bloating, blood in the stool would be concerning and would need further evaluation.

Hence, if you notice the above-mentioned symptoms please see a doctor.

I hope this answers your question. You are welcome to ask further questions.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi