question-icon

Is sleeping for 5 hours and less consumption of milk in an infant normal?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: hi, my son is 70 days old and he weighs 4.7 kgs. he weighed around 3.1 kgs at the time of birth. My question is he is sleeping around 5 to 6 hours without feeding. usually I wake him after 2 to 3 hrs to breast feed, but he feed for only for 5 mins and will fall asleep. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It is normal and his weight is okay!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

This sleeping attitude in children is perfectly normal. Am happy to see you mom putting in conscious efforts to make sure that the baby eats enough in a day. There is nothing to worry about as his weight and sleeping pattern is just normal for his age.

I hope this helps. I wish your baby well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah