question-icon

Is skipping of 5th Rabies shot recommendable after bitten by vaccinated pet dog?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: A couple of weeks back, one of my cousin's pet dog scratched its teeth near my wrist. It was a blood wound. It is a 3-month-old pup, vaccinated for rabies.
Immediately I consulted a doctor, and she prescribed TT and Rabipur.
I got Rabipur shots on 3rd, 7th day. I am going to get a shot on the 14th day.
However, I am travelling to the US and will not be available in XXXXXXX for taking the 5th shot on the 28th day.
Would you recommend skipping the 28th vaccine. If it is recommended to take the 28th-day shot, can I take any rabies vaccination available there locally?
Kindly provided the best solution for my problem.
P.S: The dog is healthy till date
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It is better to take 28th day shot.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No need to worry much for rabies because the dog is pet animal, well vaccinated and it is healthy.
So no harm if you skip 28th day shot of rabies.
But better to finish your rabies shots because this will give you future protection also.
So I recommend you to take your 28th day rabies shot, don't skip it.
You will easily get it in US.
Trade name is safe. E Rabi Pure. You must have given your rabies card indicating days and days of your shots.
You can show that card in US and get vaccine shot there.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist