Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is skinny a symptom of thyroid problem?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hi I would like to know if being too skinny is a symptom of thyroid problem
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your history of being skinny from childhood does not sounds like a symptom of thyroid problem. Because, it can only happen in extreme hyperthyroidism, where other symptoms would be prominent. But still, you can do a thyroid profile test including T3,T4&TSH for confirmation.

For your lower body weight you can also do a liver function test to rule out any abnormality.

Secondly, about your pregnancy, I assume, that you have done all hormonal tests right? If not, do a battery of tests including LH, FSH, and others. Do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen for presence of any anatomical problem. If you are normally ovulating confirmed by ultrasound scan, go for invitro-fertilisation, provided that the sperm count of your husband is satisfactory.

Hope this information is suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is skinny a symptom of thyroid problem? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have done all the tests in 2011 and the reports are uploaded. At present I have a slight swelling on the left side of the throat (See Photo uploaded) and also I have problem of premature hair greying. Do you suggest I do the Hormone tests again now or is the old report OK.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 41 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I did not find any thyroid profile.

So, you need to do that right now. And visit a general surgeon first for clinical examination of the swelling. I think that may be a thyroid enlargement. If required, do an ultrasound scan of that area to rule out any abnormality.

So, concentrate on this. And for pregnancy, you should consult an infertility specialist at the same time.

Hope you have your answers.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist