Is skinny a symptom of thyroid problem?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi I would like to know if being too skinny is a symptom of thyroid problem
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your history of being skinny from childhood does not sounds like a symptom of thyroid problem. Because, it can only happen in extreme hyperthyroidism, where other symptoms would be prominent. But still, you can do a thyroid profile test including T3,T4&TSH for confirmation.

For your lower body weight you can also do a liver function test to rule out any abnormality.

Secondly, about your pregnancy, I assume, that you have done all hormonal tests right? If not, do a battery of tests including LH, FSH, and others. Do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen for presence of any anatomical problem. If you are normally ovulating confirmed by ultrasound scan, go for invitro-fertilisation, provided that the sperm count of your husband is satisfactory.

Hope this information is suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have done all the tests in 2011 and the reports are uploaded. At present I have a slight swelling on the left side of the throat (See Photo uploaded) and also I have problem of premature hair greying. Do you suggest I do the Hormone tests again now or is the old report OK.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 41 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I did not find any thyroid profile.

So, you need to do that right now. And visit a general surgeon first for clinical examination of the swelling. I think that may be a thyroid enlargement. If required, do an ultrasound scan of that area to rule out any abnormality.

So, concentrate on this. And for pregnancy, you should consult an infertility specialist at the same time.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.