Is silicon gel more effective than gas at treating scleral buckling

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello doctor, my wife has undergone a retinal detachment operation 5 years back for left eye(scleral buckling) and now 4 months back it is done to her right eye using vitrectomy using silicon gel, but now the doctor has removed the jel but again he use gas. my doubt is her left eye has cured with in 1 month, but this right eye is taking so long. which method is best? doctor also informed this may reoccur. we also observed the sim-toms of the cataract. my wife is really worried, please your analysis and suggestion
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for full healing

Detailed Answer:

I am a practising ophthalmologist and I was asked to answer this query which was pending for many hours.

I read through your wife's concerns.
Both Silicon gel mixed with oil and gas are used during vitrectomy surgery to keep the shape of the eye ball. Since silicon gel cannot be absorbed by the body it has to be taken out after few months to a year. your doctor did the same. They cannot retain the gel for long duration in the eye as it can cause complications. He replaced it with gas now as the healing was not better than expected.
Silicon gel was better than gas. I think your treating doctor did the best thing this way.
Cataract is the common complication after vitrectomy and it can be treated later after few months.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam