question-icon

Is shrugging the shoulders and turning the head in an infant normal?

Posted on Sat, 14 May 2016
Question: my 2 yr grandson started shrugging his shoulders and turning his head about a month ago. His parents separated XXXXXXX 1,2016. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Such behavioral changes could be triggered by childhood stress

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details but would need you to clarify if there is some specific trigger which makes him shrug his shoulders or does it seem completely random. Also clarify what you mean by 'turning of head'. Stress in children can give rise to various behavioral changes which can be an underlying coping mechanism. There is a possibility that the separation of his parents is actually the cause of such behavioral changes. The main thing to be done is to properly reassure him and help him to deal better with the current situation. Psychotherapy (basically a talking therapy) is usually found to be greatly helpful in such situations and I will insist you to take him to a child psychologist since that will help him develop better coping mechanisms.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician