Is shortened bowel responsible for the difficulty in losing weight?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Weight Loss
Question: Can a shortened bowel cause problems with weight?,i.e. make weight loss more difficult?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting on our forum
I dont think the shortened bowel is responsible for the difficulty in losing weight. Normally you should have been facing problem with food digestion since part of your intestines were resected. Since you are able to gain weight, it means everything is fine with your gut.
If you have been consistent with your diet and exercise regimen, other causes of difficulty in losing weight like hypothyroidism or polycystic ovarian disease should be looked for. This is only if you have been consistent with your efforts to regulate your lifestyle. Generally, even with a 500 calorie restriction per day, you would end up only losing 1 pound per week. Faster weight loss is generally not recommended as well.
Hope this helps and write back if you got any more questions

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli