Is shingles contagious?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: Hi and thanks. I need to know if the shingle virus can be transferred to another person who would be a carrier.. We are supposed to watch grandaughter this weekend (age 3). Her dad has shingles exposed. I have RA and inject myself with Embrel and concerned if I am at risk with weakened immune system.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you could be at risk

Detailed Answer:
Usually if someone has had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine then we do not worry about them being exposed to someone with shingles (it is caused by the chicken pox virus).
However, if your immune system is compromised by an illness or a medication then you could be at risk.
Chicken pox in people with immune suppression can be very serious and so you should avoid exposure.
That said, you really only get infected if you are exposed to the blister type lesions of someone with the infection. You would not get it just from someone that has been exposed but does not have the rash.
I hope this is helpful.
Dr. Robinson