Is sharing symptoms with a doctor advisable without the patient's knowledge?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I need to know if I call my elderly fathers physician, and Im not requesting any info on his care or medications or condition, but i want to report some things i believe the dr is unaware of that are medically concerning, does he have to inform the patient, my father, that i called
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the exact sensitive nature of the information shared

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The doctor patient relationship is one that is based on mutual trust and respect. Any breach of confidentiality is to be avoided and there are times when the doctor talks to relatives of the patient to get more information that will help in better diagnosis and treatment.

2. If you have something to share with his doctor then you can do it in good faith to help in the treatment of your father. Please make a request to his doctor on the information you would like to share so that the matter will be handled in a sensitive way.

3. Doctors are trained to discuss only certain information with patients. Should there be a need to confirm the information with the patient then his doctor can always discuss it with your father in an indirect way so that mutual trust and respect is maintained.

Please write back if you have any doubts.