Is severe redness on the sole of the foot of a child associated with an insect bite?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: saw this just this morning. my baby is 4 months turning 5 in 3 days. not sure if it is ant bite. pls help. thank you!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to allergic reaction. Does not look good.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached image. I understand your concerns. It is possibly due to some allergic reaction which could be associated with an insect bite. It should gradually normalize in 3-7 days. You could also apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion. You can give some antiallergic like cetirizine drops.

It might take a few days to recover and so you need to be patient. However, if the rash seems to worsen it could be a cause for concern. In that case you need to take the child to the ER.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
thank you doctor! applied calamine and it looked better now. looks like the bump subsided a bit
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update

Detailed Answer:
Good to know that. Let me know if I could help further. However, in case any sort of worsening occurs (although unlikely), do not hesitate to take the child to a doctor/ER.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 28 minutes later
it seemed to have improved fast. have attached another photo.
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update

Detailed Answer:
Good enough. Let us hope for the best. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana