Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Is severe pain while urinating symptom of HSV2?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 756 Questions
My partner has HSV2. We have been dating for 10 months now. Around the 2nd month of us dating, a couple of days after sex, I had severe pain while urinating. Thats it. No discharge, no bumps, or anything. I immediately went to the doctors to get seen and they tested me for ghonorrea and Chlymydia. They also gave me a prescription for doxy. After about 3 days, the meds kicked in and soon after i had no more issue. the results also came back negative for my test also. My partner just recently told me she hsv2. Besides that one issue, I haven't had any symptoms, breakouts or anything over the past 10 months. I am waiting for the results for my blood test for HSV. What the chances that I have contracted this from her. She has had this since 2007 and has never had a breakout or symptoms. Is it possible that i could have contracted back in when i had the burning issue when i pee?I forgot to mention that we have unprotected sex
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not contagious if there is no active hsv lesion.

Detailed Answer:
good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Hsv carriers are not usually contagious unless they have active lesions(ulcers) and are actively shedding virus particles. That being said it is unlikely that you got infected since your partner didnt have active lesions during your time together.

You may had an episode of UTI the time you had pain on urination and ultimately went away after your intake of antibiotics. HSV doesnt usually manifest as pain on urination.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: I would gladly help you. Best wishes.


Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor