Is severe pain in the knee indicative of early osteoarthritis?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left-knee hurts, especially after playing a stomp box, (musical bass drum type of instrument). My knee ceases sometimes, and has throbbing pain; very difficult to move and stand on. I think it is getting worse, and can sometimes occur spontaneously. My mother has osteoarthritis, and we saw on our dna that it may be genetic. i'm only 28 years of age. Do you believe I could have it.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be minor capsular inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
At your young age, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation rather than decrease in the joint lubricants. This is not likely to be due to osteoarthritis.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal