• question-icon

Is severe hair loss a side effect of Ppantoprazole?

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Been taking pantoprazole for the past two weeks, but all the sudden I have been losing more hair than usual. What is going on? Can a dermatologist answer this. I have asked this question and the doctor said take adgain.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Hair loss associated with PPIs like pantoprazole is not a proven phenomenon especially with short duration of treatment.

Hair loss is not a common side effect of pantoprazole even with long term use such as 4 to 6 months. However, every individual responds differently to medication. If these effects have appeared in such an acute manner after only 2 weeks of therapy then you should stop taking it immediately and ask your doctor for an alternative such as lansoprazole or esomeprazole.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil