Is severe constipation due to the intake of calcium supplements?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I am a women of 78 and have osteoporsis. I have been constipated since taking high levels of calcium. Is this a side effect?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, hypercalcemia can cause constipation

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Yes, apart from other side effects, hypercalcemia can cause constipation. However to confirm the exact level of calcium in the body you need to undergo serum calcium test. It will confirm the levels and then dose of calcium can be altered. Dietary changes can also be another cause of constipation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana