• question-icon

    Is serum sodium level of 123 mEq/L a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My sodium reading is 123 how do I increase it.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take sodium chloride tablets.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query. Your sodium level is very low.
Are you taking any diuretic drugs?
Are you taking any anti seizure drugs?
How is your kidney function? Is your urea and creatinine in normal range?

If there is any underlying causes like hypothyroidism or due to drugs or renal impairment that should be managed initially.
lf you checked your full serum electrolytes profile then please upload that report also.

You can increase your common salt intake.
Taking sodium chloride tablets daily will be helpful to restore sodium levels.

Let me know if anything not clear.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Answered by
Dr. Nishad BN

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 5233 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Creatinine

doctor1 MD

She is renal pt. from the last ten years and her serum criatinine is unstable between 2.0 to 2,8. she is working lady . In today report her blood...

doctor1 MD

My father was diagnosed with creatinine level 3.6, he was treated with wysolone, after that his creatine level dropped to 2.6, doctor told it will...

doctor1 MD

Hello SIr, My mother is having kidney problem & doctor has suggested dytor tablets. And also she is under going dialysis. Can you please let us...

doctor1 MD

hi sir....I m writing ds for my dad...he s diabetic,hypertensive nd hypercholestrimic ....nd he s been off job for a month....he complains of...

doctor1 MD

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for...

doctor1 MD

I feel completely dumb I can't concentrate I can't think straight I feel like I can't function has the time even though I am I'm having memory loss...

doctor1 MD

Sir, I am 59 years with no sugar and blood pressure problem . During routine yearly blood test , my Amylase and Lipase tests showed elevated...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Nishad BN
  • Q - Suggest medication for hair fall programe

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itchy bump on skin

  • Q - What causes dizziness and disorientation?

  • Q - What causes white patches on face after using Skinlite cream?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for scalp psoriasis

  • Q - Suggest remedy for dark upperlip post antibiotic allergy

  • Q - Suggest treatment for sharp pain in chest

  • Q - Suggest treatment for high sugar levels

  • Q - What does this cholesterol test result indicate?

  • Q - What does low kidney functioning mean?