Is schizophrenia curable?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My relative has frequent problem of psychatric mental condition. Although she is under constant treatment of psychatrist since last 10 years but problems normally reccurred time to time creating very unhealthy environment at home as well as it affects education of two of her childs ( one son & one daughter). Now coming to the matter during reccurrence she used to behave absurdly , talking , working in faster manner. She used to say repeatedly negative matters etc. Now yesterday we saw her dr. B.P XXXXXXX , XXXXXXX . He anticipated SCHIZOPHRENIA symptoms. He gave 3 medicines like APZ 15 MG , OD DX 500, Jolypin. He suggested MRI OF BRAIN. ( Copy enclosed).
She is sugar patient( diabetic) also.
Kindly suggest suitably for following query.
1) Does it curable or it will for life long?
2) does medicine provided will cure her temporarily/permanently.
3) Is such condition may create problem like madness to attack other people living with her , her son / daughter.
4) WHAT DOES MRI SCAN is suggesting for further prognosys. ??

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bipolar disorder should be ruled out first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern. You have mentioned that she show symptoms like behaving absurdly, over talkative, working in fast pace, she says negative things etc. These are present since last 10 years but are not continuous and occur at time to time. First possibility that should be ruled out in her is Bipolar Affective Disorder and if that is ruled out then diagnosis of Schizophrenia can be kept in mind.

If she has complaints of hearing voices which others can't hear, suspiciousness, ideas that others are talking about her, others are conspiring against her etc then this point more towards Schizophrenia.

The MRI brain is showing demyelinating lesions which could be an incidental finding. I don't think this finding has anything to do with her symptoms.

Coming to your doubts-

1) The illness is treatable but not curable. With regular treatment she can remain normal and will lead a normal life.

2) Her medicines are right and if she takes regular treatment then she will definitely remain symptoms free.

3) She may become violent or abusive but in late stage of illness. Targeting own son and daughter can be possible but in late course of illness if treatment is not taken.

4) Already mentioned about MRI.

Thanks and Take care