Is schizophrenia curable?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Is schizophrenia curable? After being in treatment for about 5 years, had a major episode per year, now feeling a lot more stable. Currently i am on nexito 2.5mg and oleanz 2.5mg, which I have to consume more depending on the mood swing. If I let go of the medicine, I feel quite alright until menses/period time. I may have hormonal issues with less estrogen in my body, and with issues in uterus, is this linked to my condition. I am 32 year old female. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Schizophrenia is treatable

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

Thanks for asking from HCM

You are a 32 year old female with history of Schizophrenia with one episode per year since last 5 years. Now you are on Nexito 2.5 (Escitalopram) and Olanzapine 2.5 per day. Currently you are stable but develop symptoms during menstrual cycle.

A lot of females develop anxiety, restlessness during menstrual cycle. Yes changes in hormones is the reason behind this. Escitalopram is good drug for such symptoms and can control mood swings. If your sleep is normal then you can stop olanzapine after discussing with your psychiatrist. As per my opinion you should continue with Escitalopram for now.

Now to your question- Schizophrenia is treatable with medicines but one can't predict that it's curable. It means one can have remission of symptoms with medicines but symptoms can reoccur if proper treatment is not taken. Schizophrenia is a continuous illness and with proper medicines it can be treated.

Thanks, hope this helps you. If you have more queries you can ask in follow up. Please write your history of complaints also.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor.

Is it recommended to do MRI scan or any other tests for this? Should I consult neuro expert who also is expert in psychiatry.

At times, I am only seated for long time without being able to work, confusing/irrational thoughts flood in (like I do not belong to this world, electronic gadgets is administering my life, irrational thoughts about hell/heaven/stars/planets/moons, feeling I belong to other world, etc), feeling like throwing things(at times I do), banging head on the wall, and also makes me feel hopeless, making me cry. Other times, I am feeling cheerful and could be normal without any problem, could do houeshold work. 10-15 days per month I am feeling normal(giving some motivation to quit medicine), 7 days very depressive (my family members have to force the medicine at times), remaining 7 to get that normal behavior (in between). Is this combination of bipolar/schizophrenia?

At times, I feel like not taking medication, but it only makes condition worse.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to Depressive spectrum

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

The symptoms like sitting still, confusing thoughts as you don't belong to this world, thoughts of electronic gadgets administered in your life (probably thought broadcasting?), irrational thought about hell, heaven, planets etc possibly point towards some psychopathology and more specifically schizophrenia but detailed evaluation required for confirming the diagnosis. Other symptoms like throwing things, banging head on wall, hopelessness, crying spells are mainly depressive symptoms. The symptoms remain only 6-7 days a month and on rest of days you remain normal.

From the available information as per my opinion one can't confirm the diagnosis of Schizophrenia. Though some symptoms are symptoms of psychosis but most likely the diagnosis should go towards bipolar or possibly depression.

Some symptoms like electronic gadgets in your life can be due to schizophrenia but you have feeling that they are administered in your mind and you are not in firm belief that they in your mind. You are not having firm belief so we can't label this as delusion. Other symptoms like confusing thoughts, irrational thoughts, head banging, hopelessness, crying etc point more towards depression. Relation of menstrual cycle also confirms diagnosis.

Secondly you are on low dose antipsychotics like Olanzapine 2.5 mg which is mainly used in mood disorders. You are responding to anti-depressants so most likely you should not have schizophrenia. Consult a Psychiatrist for confirmation of diagnosis.

Don't stop the medicines. If you have more doubts you can ask again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj