Is saffron an anti-anxiety supplement?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: How effective is Safron in treating depression? If not, what antidepressant could be recommended that will not have sexual side effects. Prozac tried and dismissed.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bupropion can be used safely and are free of sexual side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Saffron is one of commonly used herbal supplement for depressive disorder. There are not much research studies for use of Saffron alone in depressive disorders, though since historical times its used for depression.

So in my opinion using Saffron alone for depression would not be a good idea. But using it with medicines will definitely help.

Some antidepressants like Bupropion can be used for depression and these are free of sexual side effects. The drug has good effectiveness and is free of serious side effects. You can talk with your doctor for this drug.

Along with this drug

-I'd advise you to take foods rich in proteins and complex carbs and low in proteins.

-Take diets rich in Omega-3-Fatty acids like Flex seeds, walnuts, Salmon or sardine fish.

-Vitamin B12 supplements also help in early recovery.

These dietary modifications will supplement the actions of antidepressants.

Thanks, Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj