Is rising CEA levels indicate progressive colon cancer?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Does a steady rise in cea levels as well as a significant rise indicate progression of colon cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
CEA levels

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

CEA is an indicator for colon cancer and a steady rise could mean that there is a possible progression/ recurrence.
However there are many situations where CEA can rise, for example smoking, post chemo and radio therapy, cirrhosis of liver, etc. Please undergo a scan to say for sure if the colon cancer is progressing.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Well my dad cea was 3, this was in may and surgery was in march . Then XXXXXXX was 4, now july 6 that why we worried why its rising

He is a smoker but even still it may be high but should not rise right?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Progression

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Rise in CEA in your dad indicates progression of the malignancy. Please approach your gastroenterologist for further work up. He might require additional anti cancer treatment.
Smoking causes rise is CEA but it does not progressively increase.

I hope I was of help

I wish your father good health