Is ringing in ears related to neuropathy?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Throughout the years I've been told I'm having neuropathy (electric like pains running up my legs and side of face) and a few times I've heard the term neuritis. Can some people be predisposed to have this, or is there a condition that I should be looking at? I've had optic neuritis (which was very scary) and I've gotten neuritis after injuries (and surgeries).

Also, is there any way this could be related to ringing in my ears?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vestibular neuritis causing tinnitus.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

In my opinion, it is a genetic predisposition to have neuritis.
There are some Neuro transmitters and inflammatory mediators in body causing this tendency to cause inflammation to the nerve.

Tinnitus/ringing in ears can be because of vestibular neuritis where in there is inflammation of vestibular/ hearing nerve.

It is treated with antibiotic and anti inflammatory medicines + steroids.

Prognosis is good if treated at early stages.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Is there a name for having this genetic predisposition to neuritis?

I've taken 2 Medrol dose packs and had a round of antibiotics sense this started. Didn't seam to help the tinnitus. The sound is just getting so loud.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Betahistine, ginkobiloba, ITD.

Detailed Answer:

As per my knowledge there are no specific link between neuropathy, neuronitis and the ringing sensation. Perhaps all these are independent of each other.

I have had patients with recurring vestibular neuronitis where the cause may be due to genetic predisposition. However I perform VNG after a physical examination before arriving at a conclusion. Your local ENT surgeon will know about it.

If medrol packs are not helping you, you may try course of betahistine and multivitamin ginkobiloba extract. I would also suggest intra-tympanic steroid injection 1 dose/week × 4 weeks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad