question-icon

Is rib pain symptomatic of diabetes?

Posted on Tue, 21 Nov 2017
Question: hello my name is XXXXXXX i am a diabetic since 2012 i do have a doctor but i have a question since i can't get in to see him fast enough. it has been two weeks that i feel nerve movement on my right side rib cage and i have had some cramping a few time's a day and need help cause it is scary thing the unknown of it all.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About your concerns;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The pain on the right side rib is not connected to Diabetes. It suggests for costocondritis ( inflammation of the head of the rib) that needs treatment with anti inflammatory tablets ( naproxen).
Regarding to cramps, you need to check electrolites ( Calcium, magnesium and kalium) to rule out electrolite disturbances.
If it is located at the inferior extremities than an doppler ultrasound of the arteries would be helpful to rule out atherosclerosis (a chronic complication of Diabetes) caused by Diabetes.
Hope the information will help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist