question-icon

Is retesting for gallstones advisable when the current US report is not remarkable?

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018
Question: I am a 67 y/o female with MS. I am currently taking Ampyra. I recently had blood work done in preparation for a new infusion treatment. My Alkaline Phosphatase level was 157 and my liver isoenzyme was 85. Both are above recommended levels. An ultrasound of the liver showed nothing remarkable. There were a few gall stones evident, i have no symptoms of anything of note. My internist recommends retesting in three months. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Retesting is the right approach!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

With isolated elevated liver enzymes and no glaring cause, the best approach is to retest in a few months to make sure this is not just a transient rise without any pathological cause. When there is no real cause, they would return to normal. Should this remain elevated even after a couple of months, then you would need to see a liver specialist for in depth evaluation.

For now, retesting is the recommended approach.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah (18 hours later)
I am receiving BOTOX injections for neurogenic bladder incontinence. Would that have an impact on the liver numbers?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (3 days later)
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:

Botox really has no impact on liver enzymes. I will stick to a follow up control and we will take it from there.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah (48 minutes later)
Thank you. Have a good holiday and a Happy New Year.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (44 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I wish you same!

Detailed Answer:

I wish you a happy holiday season and a great and prosperous new year 2018.
Dr. Ivo Ditah