Owl Image

Is retesting for gallstones advisable when the current US report is not remarkable?

Question
I am a 67 y/o female with MS. I am currently taking Ampyra. I recently had blood work done in preparation for a new infusion treatment. My Alkaline Phosphatase level was 157 and my liver isoenzyme was 85. Both are above recommended levels. An ultrasound of the liver showed nothing remarkable. There were a few gall stones evident, i have no symptoms of anything of note. My internist recommends retesting in three months. Any suggestions?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Retesting is the right approach!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

With isolated elevated liver enzymes and no glaring cause, the best approach is to retest in a few months to make sure this is not just a transient rise without any pathological cause. When there is no real cause, they would return to normal. Should this remain elevated even after a couple of months, then you would need to see a liver specialist for in depth evaluation.

For now, retesting is the recommended approach.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Follow-up: Is retesting for gallstones advisable when the current US report is not remarkable? 18 hours later
I am receiving BOTOX injections for neurogenic bladder incontinence. Would that have an impact on the liver numbers?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 days later
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:

Botox really has no impact on liver enzymes. I will stick to a follow up control and we will take it from there.

I wish you well.

Follow-up: Is retesting for gallstones advisable when the current US report is not remarkable? 48 minutes later
Thank you. Have a good holiday and a Happy New Year.

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
I wish you same!

Detailed Answer:

I wish you a happy holiday season and a great and prosperous new year 2018.