Is restlessness a side effect of Promethazine?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband took promethazine 25mg at 10 pm. 30 min later he became twitchy, resstless, rubbing his arms. In and out of bed. 330am I gave him benadrl 50 po. he continues ressless. How long does this last. Do I need to take him to the ER .
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of promethazine.

Detailed Answer:
Are you sure it is reaction to promethazine? Is it his first dose ever or change in dose? It's generally very safe drug commonly used.
Promethazine works as antihistamine and anti cholinergic. So initially there would be quite a few side effects up to a week sometime. Dosing can be changed start at 6.25 mg also. Gradually up to 12.5 mg.
As long as the temperature and pulse are maintained there is no reason to panic to shift to ER. If all good you can wait.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj