question-icon

Is resting heart rate of 120 and high fever a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: 14 yr old female with high fever, and 120 heart rate resting? Should she be seen?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Tachycardia is common with a high fever. Heart rate also increases with dehyrdration and with pain.

Without the advantage of seeing her or knowing how high her fever is or other symptoms (such as neck pain, cough, light headedness), I would say yes, take her in to be seen tonight.

If you have already given her Advil or Tylenol and she continues to be in this state, yes, take her in.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh